Friday, February 11, 2011

Sharing

Evidently squirrels don't believe in sharing. The word is out about the sunflower seeds on the porch. There was a squirrel melee on the porch yesterday. I should have known that there would be trouble when I noticed that my porch is now listed on Squeakileaks.com. They tear into one another until only the biggest and fattest one remains. All of the others run away. (Running away is the oldest known form of self defense).
There was a large flock of robins in the cedar tree yesterday. I think that they consumed almost all of the berries, unlike the cedar waxwings that consume a few and leave the rest for another day.
Yesterday I tried to make codfish cakes in the Portuguese manner. It was a dismal failure. I still have some salt codfish left and I will try the Cape Cod manner using potatoes instead of day old bread. The Portuguese cakes just didn't hold together and I ended up with codfish hash. I was hoping to duplicate the codfish cakes of Antonios in New Bedford, a dish worth driving to. It was a shame because salt codfish is more expensive than prime rib and doesn't taste anywhere near as good. I will not purchase it again. My Mother used to make creamed salt codfish over new potatoes with fresh peas. It must have been the fond memory of that dish that caused me to purchase the cod. Hmmm, maybe the solution for what to do with the leftover codfish is there, Fannie Farmer has a recipe for it.
The codfish no longer comes in a nifty wooden box with a sliding top. It is now packaged in some sort of plastic composite, still with a sliding top. The old box was great for holding all of the small treasures that a boy picks up during a day, big rubber bands and robin's egg shells and shiny things and marbles and small pretty rocks and different tonic bottle tops (the kind with the cork liner inside that can be taken out and used to pin them to your shirt).

No comments: