Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Someone

Someone is eating the sunflower seeds. Yesterday I noticed that the ones from the day before were all gone so I put out another handful. This morning I saw that some snow had fallen during the night and I could not see if yesterday's were gone. I will have to find a more secluded spot to put the seeds in. The flower pot is high on the railing of the porch and the squirrel is very exposed if it is eating them. There are often hawks circling overhead and I would hate to be the reason for my little friend's demise. Most bird feeders eventually become cat feeders but I will be remiss if I allow the squirrel feeder to become a bird feeder.
I made a small discovery yesterday. I was making noodles and stir-fry. I used linguini instead of noodles. The linguini is at least as good as the noodles, less expensive, and much more readily available as I have a rather extensive supply of pasta.
I don't want to use up all of the linguini however. I have a delectible bowl of pesto waiting for some linguini. The pesto was given to me by someone that knows me well, someone that I love dearly and respect quite as much. It will be such a treat to have pesto in the Winter time. The basil plant that I have in the window can't possibly produce enough leaves for a good pesto.
I have tiny little bugs on the lemon tree and the sage doesn't look too healthy. The thyme is flourishing and the garlic that I planted two weeks ago is at least a foot high. The garlic is the first garlic that I have ever succeeded with. I was at the grocery store and their regular garlic was looking very tired so I purchased a tray of organic garlic. Surprisingly it was less expensive than an equal amount of the regular garlic. It is very healthy, the cloves that I planted sprouted immediately, and the taste in a dish is less assertive but much appreciated. The bulbs that remain in the tray have not sprouted yet as the regular garlic would have. Hmmm, some nice roasted garlic might go nice with some linguini and pesto. Someone else might say that that would be too much garlic but I don't think that there is such a thing.
Would a squirrel eat garlic cloves? They do dine on tulip bulbs and those can't be that tasty.

No comments: