Sunday, July 18, 2010

Creature of the Night

I have become a Creature of the Night. I have not done so because of some sinister metamorphisis. I have done so because of the heat during the afternoons. The temperature has been over eighty degrees each afternoon for several days. While those temperatures are not overly oppressive, they are not comfortable so I retreat to the bedroom which is air conditioned. I lay down and read and soon begin to snooze. I usually wake up around two o'clock A.M. and get up as it is relatively cooler then. There is a gentle cool breeze coming in the window even as I type these words.
I have coffe on the porch and listen to the sounds of the night. Many years ago I was uncomfortable in the dark. That condition persisted until my Father explained to me that mankind is the most fearsome creature of the night. No denizen of the dark can compare to the ferocity of a deviant human being. Suddenly the dark became no longer fearsome but a gentle soft blanket that allows one to concentrate on the senses other than sight. The sense of hearing and smell and touch all now get a chance to report their findings without being overpowered by the tyranny of sight. Gentle is the night and soft is its touch. Earlier this Summer the lilac bushes across the driveway were a special treat in the night.
There is another special time. Just as the dawn begins to paint the sky, the fragrance of frying eggs and bacon and brewing coffee heralds the morning of the neighbors. It is a moving time and reminds me of an old rhyme.
"In the morning when I wakey, all I want is eggs and bakey.". It is good to start the day with a potential embollism.
Yesterday I washed and disinfected the kitchen floor. Today I will bleach and wash my dirty laundry. I will not hang it outside on the clothes line to dry as I was told a long time ago that it is not a good idea to air your dirty laundry for the neighbors to see. So bleach is on the schedule for today also. I use a lot of bleach, about three gallons a month. Bleach is an old trusted friend. It is possible for any germ that reproduces sexually to develop a resistance to germicides but it is not possible to develop a resistance to a substance that dissolves you instead of poisoning you.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

"It is good to start the day with a potential embolism." I agree, Dad! :-) What would life be without bacon?