Monday, July 26, 2010

Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze was the name of the dog that my friend Susanne Peterson had. Cool breeze is also what is wafting through the window as I sit here.
It has been very warm the last few days, very warm with too much humidity. Last evening I retreated early to the comfort of the cooler bedroom and soon fell asleep while reading. This led to missing Hercule Poirot on PBS. I was disappointed when I awoke this morning and realized that I had missed it. There are very few things on television that I actually enjoy and Poirot is the major one. It must be because I identify so much with his fussiness.
From what I can glean from the news, leaders of many countries are once again beating the war drums. Fools! What ever happened to the days when the leader was the first man in the front lines. Even if they weren't, they were at least on the battlefield. Even Napoleon was within range of his opponent's cannon. John of Bohemia led the last charge of his knights even though he was blind. Alexander was always at the forefront of his battles. There might be a lot less conflict if today's leaders had to face the dangers that their troops face instead of directing things from underground bunkers miles away from the carnage. It brings to mind an old adage: "Old men make war, young men die in it.". Did we learn nothing from Flanders Field?
Make sure that your children learn "Dulce et Decorum Est.". The latest folly is our attempt to elect by a national plebiscite a leader of Pashtun tribesmen. Doesn't anyone realize that they have an Electoral College that actually works? You can't win over the hearts and minds of a nation by blowing their hearts and minds all over the landscape. They tend to resent that.

No comments: