Saturday, June 26, 2010

Chili Dreams and Thoughts

The thoughts and dreams that come to me are a constant source of wonder and appreciation of the complexity of the "little grey cells". Tonight's episode is very perplexing.
Yesterday I made chili. I made it the way my Brother likes it, without beans. The chili simmered for about four hours. The chili is not too hot but the day was so I wandered to the store and got some ice cold beer. Chili and ice cold beer are a match made in, well Hades seems to be the proper location. Chili over rice and shaved cheese are one of my favorite dishes.
Now comes the wonder. A dream and a thought dominated my evening. I had watched a little television and went to bed. I awoke shortly before midnight with a song and a memory vividly in my mind. Many years ago one who is still dear to my heart took me to see the play "Jesus Christ Superstar". It was one of the most impressive things that I have ever experienced. There was pathos and comedy (New Testament and comedy?) and one of the most poignant things I have ever experienced. The thing was the song sung by Mary of Magdala. The song was "I don't know how to love him".
Several years ago I read that book by Dan Brown , called The Davinci Code, that addressed the subject of the relationship of Jesus and Mary of Magdala and an old interest was rekindled. Questions arose so I started digging. How she got such a reputation from those seven devils is one question. How the Elevated Eleven formed their "NO GIRLS ALLOWED" club is another. What happened to her is another. Did she go to Ephesus with Mary of the Immaculate Conception much like Ruth's journey? So many questions, so many suspicions, do women disappear from the New Testament after Jesus died? It is reminiscent of the Mother Goddess being supplanted by the endless list of Thunderers and that Cretan priestess being told "There will be an emnity between you and the serpent and, by the way, that dress has to go. Put some damned clothes on.".
I have always thought that men took over religion when they realized it was a fertile source of power and money. I know there is God. I don't have much respect for religion. Rome's fascination with the Shoes has always raised an eyebrow in my mind. Not sandals but shiny, elaborate shoes! I would wager that somewhere in the Vatican there is a large closet crammed with all sorts of shiny elaborate shoes because there is no way that all the Popes in two thousand years were 9 1/2 D's. A closet full of shoes, Hmmmmm, what else is in the closet? Is there a stuffed tiger in there? For as we all know, "NO GIRLS ALLOWED".
Enough with the ponderings of a dusty, wrinkled mind. There is still that tiny, delicate, sorrowful, waif standing on that stage singing her heart out "I Don't Know How to Love Him.". Does anyone? If there is ever a national anthem for Christianity I would nominate that song and the pitiful, pleading voice that sang it.
Thank you dear one for that memory and so many more. That litany of fond and meaningful memories must be left alone. "There are times and there are places".
I hope that the dream and thoughts are not just a result of the chili. If they are, chili is going to become a mainstay of the menu.

No comments: