Saturday, June 26, 2010

Pillow Thoughts

Last night was an uneasy night. I awakened in the very early hours of today. I don't know why, maybe there was a noise outside. The first thing that I noticed was that it was quite bright in the room. It was the Moon shining in the window. It illuminated the whole room. I lay staring at the Moon.
Then the wheels started whirring. I began thinking of how the Sun dominates our lives and how years ago, when people slept outside, the Moon must have had more of an effect on them. I pondered what meanings the ancients attached to the Moon and the gender they ascribed to Her. If the Moon is female, then the Moon must be the giver of life. The Sun nurtures all growing things and he must be the sustainer of life.
Oh Boy, the wheels started buzzing. The question popped in "What is the meaning and purpose of Life?".
So here is a synopsis of my thoughts under the Lunar influence. The purpose of Life is to create new Life. The secondary purpose is to nurture that new Life. The gender roles of the Human Race would seem to validate these thoughts but gender roles have become so convoluted and distorted. Fathers have lost their way and Mothers have had to take over the nurturing. This would make sense if there were still cave bears lurking at the entrance to the cave but makes no sense in our world today. The NFL and Nascar and Final Fantasy and Warrior based games are no way to spend your day. The only such role a man today must fill is when there is a noise downstairs in the night and he must get up and go see what it is. He must also sleep on the door side of the bed.
So I arrived at some conclusion about the Purpose, the Meaning is still a mystery. I need another phrase, Life is far from Mean.
I wonder what the noise was, it was probably a Cave Mouse.

No comments: