Sunday, April 25, 2010

Signs of growth

Yesterday the signs of growth were everywhere. The maples and oaks are covered with the new leaves of the year. The lilacs are beginning to bloom and the purple flowerets are beginning to open to reveal the lilac color and fragrance. The dandylions all have their butterball tops and some have the grey puffballs that will bring forth the flower of their genes.
There was another flowering of genes present. I got to see the flowering of my daughter and son-in-law's genes beginning to make their presence known in the sprout that they have created. The quiet of his Father and the penetrating consideration of his Mother are starting to take hold in my grandson. He is calmer than he was and easier than he was. His penetrating look glanced over me more than once. I watched him walking with his Father, holding his Father's hand, and I seemed to see a glimpse of the man he will be. I watched him laughing and squirming as his Aunt tickled him and saw the exhuberance that I remember of his Mother. That exhuberance for life has evolved into a quiet acceptance of all of the beauty of life by his Mother.
So I witnessed the growth of life. The pride that I have in the gene pool that I may have passed on was justified again. My children are no longer children. They are people to be admired. Both of them awaiting the promise that tommorrow offers yet savoring the delights of today. I watched my youngest sitting back and incitefully analyzing life and then diving in to enjoy a romp with her nephew. For the whole time, not one complaint or lament from anyone. Just an enjoyment of what we are presented in life, nevermind what is on someone else's plate.
So what I planted as a young man has grown into maturity, clean and tall and full of beauty of form and mind, and the sapling of the newest generation is tall and straight and bursting with the energy that will carry him above his peers. Mankind, be glad. Hope is here and hope is on the way.

No comments: