Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Chorus

This morning, for the first time in a long while, I heard the chorus outside. The birds are back and they have been sorely missed. There were not too many of them, twittering and chirping their way through their repetoire, but there were enough to make me realize how I have missed them. One small one has just begun a gentle peeping. The others stopped about one minute ago. The Sun is rising and the sky is lightening. I have often noticed that when the Sun first begins to rise, all of the birds stop their calls. It is almost as if they have hushed in reverance for the appearance of the giver of life. All of the life on Earth owes its existance to the benevolence of the Sun. Without it there would be no green things. Without the green things there would be no seeds or bugs. Without the seeds and bugs there would be no birds. And so on and so on......
The Earth would be a cold and quiet place. The Earth is in the habitable zone. It is habitable because of the Sun. So the birds show their reverance by being quiet as the giver of life makes its entrance. Once it is esconced in the sky, the birds break out with their hallelulias. I have missed their celebration. It is good to have them back. Even the tiny peeper, hitting high notes that the others did not follow. I remember two little girls hitting high notes for the church chorus that no one else could follow. Those high notes are deep in my memory and heart. Life has been very, very, good to me. I miss the givers of those high notes very much.

No comments: