Sunday, December 27, 2009

Oodles of Onions

Yesterday I made onion soup. It might not sound like a big deal but I am housebound with the sniffles and was going bonkers for something to do. The soup takes several hours and uses six pounds of onions. It came out pretty good but I have had better. La Petite Anglais made much better onion soup. I also made No Knead Artisanal bread. I have made that before and it is a two day process that I started the day before. It is wonderful but I take no credit for it. I got the recipe from Cook's Illustrated along with the onion soup recipe. Despite all of the time saving suggestions the magazine makes on so many things, it always seems to be the ones that take a long time that come out delicious and rewarding.
It isn't just cooking that follows that maxim. Life seems to be the same way. Anything worth doing is worth taking the time to do it right. Unfortunately it takes a long time to learn this.
Both of the recipes I have mentioned are French. Is there anything about life that the French have not mastered? They have given up on being a world power and an economic powerhouse but they live, love, eat, and drink with gusto. It took them a long time to come to those goals but they seem to realize that we are not going to get out of this life alive so we might as well enjoy the ride. Good soup, good bread, good cheese, and good wine are much more satisfying to an individual than a stealth bomber or a fat portfolio. A year in Provence would be nice. The French even have a city named after this wishful condition. La Petite Anglais, I remember you!

No comments: