Friday, December 11, 2009

Chickened Out

The pea soup didn't happen. I noticed a piece of chicken in the refrigerator that needed to be cooked so I made chicken soup. The soup isn't that good. I think that I put too many aromatics in it and it looks more like spinach soup than chicken soup. I have lost the knack of making soup and will have to return to the recipe books. The corn bread is very good. I made it with buttermilk instead of regular milk. The recipe has to be adjusted by reducing the baking powder by half and adding some baking soda. The correct adjustment can be found in Fannie Farmer under baking powder biscuits. All of the esoteric cooking books that I have and I constantly find myself going back to Fannie Farmer and Betty Crocker.
I do have a new recipe for beef stew and I am looking forward to trying it. The recipe is in the latest copy of Cook's Illustrated and involves anchovies and mushrooms. I will withhold the baking soda and save it for the heartburn.
Today will be a day for taking care of the many things that need attention. It is about time that I got up off of my skinny butt and took care of things. These actions will have to be post-Wikipedia.

No comments: