Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fall

It is Fall in New England. All the glories of the season are bursting out all over. The sugar maples are blazing with their reds and yellows and oranges and purples. The weather couldn't be more perfect. It is a little cool in the daytime but stop for a moment in a sheltered nook and the Sun warms your face and thoughts. The fallen leaves carpet the lawn but, huzzah, the lawn isn't mine and therefore neither are the leaves. It is the time of pancakes and sausage and maple syrup. It is also the time for tucking in the garden for its nap.
The garden that I have is in pots on the porch. Yesterday I attempted to clear it out but was restrained, restrained by the yellowjackets crawling among the leaves of the plants. The yellowjackets are a bit testy this time of year. The last time that I was stung I had quite a reaction to the sting and had to go to the hospital. The doctor told me to not get stung again as the next time could be even more serious. So I left the field to the victors and will clear the porch after we get a nice frost. All of the green tomatoes are sitting in a bowl on the counter and are embarrased to be inside. They must be embarrased because they are starting to blush.
The other fall is wending its way towards oblivion. Last night I was able to sleep in the bed. My side is still very tender but at least I don't have to live in fear of a yawn. It has been three weeks but soon it will be over. The last time that it happened it took about a month to heal. My boss had to tie my shoes for me as I could not bend over.
I have made a resolution to eat vegetables. Lately my diet has consisted of almost exclusively meat. Green leafy things are in the future. Each time I think of this situation I remember what my Brother once told me.
"Vegetables aren't food. Food eats vegetables. Don't eat anything that didn't have parents.".
Sitting here, thinking of this, I have suddenly developed a yearning for squash. This is a good time for squash in New England. Ummm, baked squash with butter and maple syrup and sausages! Maybe a little spinach and beet greens to go with it. I have some nice kielbasa to go with the greens. This will be a Fall to remember.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Dad - I'm so glad you're feeling better!