Friday, October 9, 2009

Dreams

I spent the night on the couch last night. It seems to be the only place where I get enough back pressure to make sleep possible. I was surprised when I awakened that it was light in the room. I usually wake up around 2 A.M. but it was 7 A.M.. I had the strangest dream. It should have been terrifying but it was strangely comforting. I have many dreams and often wonder if there is meaning to them. Someone should produce a directory of dreams, for I think that we all have similar dreams and there may be common reasons for what we dream. I used to dream that I could fly and someone explained the reason to me. The reason must have been valid for I have no longer had that dream in many years and the reason disappeared many years ago.
There are also dreams that we have while we are awake. They are not really dreams, they are wishes. I have had such a dream since 1974. It has never materialized but there is still time. If it ever does my purpose in life will have been fulfilled and I can leave behind a legacy that will be worthwhile. It will not be a legacy to be proud of but it will at least be worthwhile.
I still have the dreams that I am late for work or AWOL from the Army. It is so comforting to wake up and realize that those nightmares are no longer valid. I used to work at a place where being late or being absent were just not tolerated and what I did in the Army meant that if you were gone 24 hours without leave, you were a deserter. It is bad, bad, bad, to be a deserter! I came close once and it was very scary. They explain the consequences to you and it is very, very, scary.
So, I will live with my daytime dream and wonder about the nightime dreams. Wonder, what a nice word. I have wondered about things since I was a small boy. I still wonder about things. Do trees have an awareness? I know that some of them are able to communicate with each other. If they do have an awareness, what goes through the awareness of a six thousand year old pine tree? Are trees the hairs of the Earth and therefore we are the creatures that live among the roots of hairs? Why do some birds have to work so hard just to travel a short distance while others float along through life? The floaters all seem to be predators. They don't scurry from cubicle to crubicle trying not to be noticed but sit in oak paneled rooms and enjoy the fruits of the winds, none of which come from their efforts, as they rise higher and higher. The scurryers and the floaters all eventually seek out the trees for some reason. Do they dream while they rest in the trees? Perhaps the Ents know. I wonder.

No comments: