Saturday, March 28, 2009

Sprung

Today seems to be the first real day of Spring. All of the signs are there. Yesterday I noticed that the crocuses are up and in bloom but this morning was the announcement of Spring. Before sunrise I was out on the porch having coffee. Slowly the chorus began. The birds are back.
I have been seeing and hearing the geese for several days but this morning the songbirds were in full triumph. No raucus honking and screeching but the full melodies of their age-old songs. To me this is the first sign that Spring is really here. No emperor ever had a more awesome announcement of his approach than the Sun has in the Spring. Myriad tiny voices announce that the ruler is near. The giver of warmth and light and life approaches. The ruler of our solar system begins its daily procession across its realm. The plants adjust their leaves and all of the weak and tiny creatures of the land and sea have persevered through another terrifying night. The business of life resumes.
There is another sure sign of Spring. I have my usual nagging springtime cold. It is not debilitating, it just drags on my energy. I don't know how I get this cold. I only mix with people once a month, when I shop for groceries. It is worth it. I revel in shopping for groceries. It is the apex of my month. The incredible diversity and amount of food that is available in this country is staggering. Food from places all over the globe, brought to us by a system that many people deride. Globalization has not brought about the ruin of life as we knew it in this country. It has brought about menus that our ancestors knew before they came to America.
What if all of the organizations that produce and ship weapons and bombs and tanks and fighter planes all over the world started to ship fruits and vegetables and grains and legumes instead? There are regions of Africa that have a dire need for food but seem to have a plethora of weapons. Some day all of this madness will stop. I just hope that it will be because mankind has finally achieved sanity and not because there is no one left to shoot and the last human being decides to eat a bullet.

5 comments:

Tera Rose said...

want to hear about something that they told us back in college. I start by saying this because I don't know if it is a legend, or truth. It was in an course about grass roots organizing.

It was about live aid...the music industries movement in the 1980s to send food to third world countries.

It is said that crates and crates of food were dropped into this remote area- I don't remember it being africa, but we sent cans and cans of beans... red ones. probably kidney.

In that tribe, there was a religious superstition against red beans.

no kidding. so the food sat and people still went hungry.

the lesson to us was to research the people before you solved their problems.

so how are you?

been politiking.

That's why I havent been around blog world, we are noticing the bird migration as well, and oh so ready!

hope everyone is well.

Tera Rose said...

http://www.wfsb.com/video/19014533/index.html


yeah, the posters are mine- my daughter and I made them..the ones' about mother Rell..and save High Meadows. The little girl on the shoulder of her dad with the poster in her face...she's mine.

:)

Tera Rose said...

thanks for you comments. I have never met you and yet I feel like I have a friend out there.

soybeans for six years. i like that. Can we grow them here? I planted my sugar snap peas on St.Patty's day.

This year we are trying to grow potatoes for the first time. In tires. I have about twelve tires outside. The dirt is in the one tire, as the plants grow, i will stack them upward with more dirt. I hope it works.

My children love potatos in any shape, form, or way of being cooked.

The governor...
well, our last one is now a convicted felon; working for the city of Waterbury; earning 95,000.00 a year.

I am so very sick and tired of it all...it wears me thin. I feel like an indentured servant. Waking up each day...going to work, to barely earn enough to pay off the master...to get up and do it all over again the next day...wondering where they will rob us from next- retirement accounts, PMI, crooked mortgages, investments...hell, food prices still high from when gas prices last year caused them to go up- but gas is down and not the food- let's see, can we count the ways that they are like master?


Never thought I'd be at the capitol asking them to increase taxes. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the one whose lost my mind. TAX ME I am yelling...or rather TAX THOSE WHO MAKE $200,000. a year, which is so NOT me...but I'm shouting, INCREASE TAXES...to keep a job, that they may end up taxing us for anyway..because those making over $200,000.00 will find a way not to pay them...and the bills will still be there.

tired. going to bed.

Tera Rose said...

We added peat moss, and the straw from the guniea hen pen...the straw has rabbit poop in it as well. will this be ok?

on my way to work i am going to buy seeds for chinese lanterns.

thanks for the tips.

Tera Rose said...

I looked it up:

http://www.barnstablecountyfair.org

We camp not far from there and have never gone. I remember being stuck in the traffic many times when it was running. We'll have to go. We usually bark our behinds on the beach, unless there is an electrical storm.

my parents met at the west tisbury fair.

We tend to go to the ones in Connecticut, being in the fall...every child of mine I have entered into the baby contest of the Berlin Fair. It became a tradition- my boys have all one. My daughter didn't, but she got a photo in the town newspaper so I tell her she won :)

We have a pair of flemish giants, pair? actually they are both male. I had to separate them this month because they started fighting.

I didn't know that they had to eat their poop.

I do want to bread them. There is a survivor- or a paranoid nut inside of me. news of bad economy- lay offs likely-4 kids to feed- so we got rabbits and potatos.

we were moving towards eating our own food anyway; it just seems a little more important.

although, it would help to get a female rabbit...

but I doubt I could eat them anyway unless we were all starving.

A child that I work with tells me his family has eaten dingo- he means the wild dogs that roam the cities.

I wasn't aware that poverty in connecticut had gotten that bad until he told me that they would hunt these dogs for food. I guess they were pets a few generations ago and now run wild in the cities; sometimes biting people.

who'd of thought.