Friday, March 13, 2009

asabee

Yesterday was a busy day. I ordered the seeds and plants for the Spring, went for a walk, and made stock. I can't call it chicken stock because it is made of many things. I took all of the scraps of vegetables and meat that I save in the freezer and tossed them into the pot. Celery, carrots, lots of onions, garlic, pork bones, turkey necks, hearts, gizzards, skin, and fat. Chicken thighs, legs, backs, and giblets. These were later followed by rosemary, just a little, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, and a small amount of soy sauce at the end. I ended up with two gallons of stock that had reduced down from three. The freezer is now just as full as it was before but I have room to save more trimmings. I have enough stock and spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce to last for a long time. The problem with cooking in quantity is that I cannot justify further cooking and I do love it so.
I will suspend the cooking and concentrate on cleaning, my second favorite activity. I am anxiously awaiting the seeds and plants as I have never ordered plants before. I finally found a place that had French Tarragon and I ordered Brandywine tomato plants and a rosemary plant. The seeds will come first, I ordered too many because Gurney's had a deal that if you ordered over fifty dollars in plants and seeds, they took twenty-five dollars off of the order. I had a difficult time finding that many things that I wanted but I managed to get the order to fifty dollars and fifteen cents. I therefore owed them twenty-five dollars and fifteen cents. They tacked on shipping and handling and I now know what it would cost to ship Mount Rushmore to my home.
I have to go out tomorrow, the library called and the book I ordered over the internet is in. This computer stuff is fantastic. I can order plants and seeds and library books over the Internet. I don't know why I resisted it for so long. I will have a book that I have been anticipating to read, a nice bottle of sherry to go along with it, and no dishes to do.
The book, the sherry, and Pavarotti. I'm glad that the show Fraser was not on when my parents were naming me as I am sure that I would have ended up as Niles instead of Nils. If physical resemblance were the issue instead of habits, I would have ended up as Fraser. The resemblance is so uncanny that that was my nickname at work. Ahh work, I remember work but not too fondly. The best job that I ever had was driving the taxi. It came late in life but was very satisfying. This does not include the time that I had to deliver a box and was told to not open the box. Luckily it was Winter and the windows were all shut as the box contained a dozen gerbils. Try getting a gerbil back in the box when there are eight already in there. It is like the snake in the peanut brittle can. Now there is one in the box and the quest starts all over again.
The job was rewarding because the town I drove in was a dry town. I worked four P.M. to four A.M. and got to take all of the rascals to clubs and bars out of town and then pick them up later. Keno players had to pay for both trips in the beginning as Keno players have no money at the end of the night. It ws here that I learned that there are two types of people in the world. The first is "Hi, how are you? Where are you going?". The second is "Money up front!". No round trips to crack houses as I don't want to listen to your drivel on the way back.

No comments: