Monday, March 31, 2008

A day to remember

Yesterday was a day that I hope I will long remember. The Sun shone and my heart was at peace. I got to see three people that I love and respect. I watched a young man deal with surprise and disappointment in a way we should all emulate. When he was surprised, joy and happiness beamed forth from him. When he was disappointed, I am not sure he was disappointed but an older more jaded person would have been, he just accepted it and moved on. There was no whining and crying and wheedling. He showed me how to make a snowman in the house. I finally made something that seemed to please a cook whose opinion is important to me. Her husband concurred and that boy really knows cooking. Thank you Lidia! I found a walking companion whose pace is the same as mine, a pace similar to an arthritic snail. On our walk we met a friend of mine. My friend later remarked "Your wife must be beautiful, for your daughter certainly didn't get it from you.". It was a day full of joy with no disappointment.
I awoke in the middle of the night with an answer I have long sought. Why should I believe in God? I have read and studied for so long and where is the proof? God gets nothing if a drudge like me believes. The answer came. I believe because I want to believe. It feels so good to believe. It is a reason that Pascal overlooked. I still don't know about all of the other trappings of religion but the basic premise is there for me. I think the answer came from Kristen. I asked her several questions, about things I have been pondering, and the answers she gave were crystal clear. She is aware of all of the alternatives that exist and has gone right to the gist of the whole subject. I believe because I want to!
I am concerned for all three of my daughters. They seem to share a common complication. Their lives are so busy. They seem to share their Mother's attention to detail, never glossing over a problem but addressing it immediately until it is solved. Not like their father whose philosophy seems to be "Life is like a drive in the country. Never mind if the seatbelt is buckled or the mirror is properly adjusted. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.". Yesterday was such a ride.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Dad - We had such a wonderful time on Sunday. Thank you! It was so nice to get outside for our walk, and your food as usual was amazing. And, oh my gosh, your sauce and sausages that we had for dinner were absolutely delicious! R kept saying over and over again how much he liked his presents from you and how nice it was of you to give them to him. He really enjoys being with you. :-)