Friday, August 26, 2011

Predictions

The weather forecast for yesterday was ominous. Torrential rains and thunder storms and very high winds were predicted for this entire region and those were not part of the hurricane that is supposedly coming this way.
My Brother Paul called and we arranged to meet. He picked me up and we went to the grocery store and got two nice porterhouse steaks and some fresh corn on the cob and some fresh mushrooms and some butter and a loaf of French bread. We stopped along the way and purchased some of Holland's most well known elixir.
We went to his house and picked up most of the potential projectiles in his yard. We cooked inside because of the weather forecast. It didn't seem prudent to be out in the yard grilling during torrential rain or standing next to a huge metal gas grill during a lightening event.
The rain never appeared. We sat on the porch waiting for some salesmen to appear but none ever did.
I am hoping that the predictions on the hurricane will prove similarly incorrect. If the weather computers are correct, the hurricane will come right through my bathroom. I think that the high winds are inevitable but all will be well if the rains stay west of here and the tree roots don't get sodden so that the big trees topple. Earthquakes and hurricanes, these are not normal for Massachusetts. If a plague of frogs and flies come, as a first born I will start to worry a lot.
Today I am going to go out and purchase some more flashlight batteries. I always have water set aside and candles at the ready but I don't have any spare batteries. I live on the third floor of the highest spot in town so I don't think that I need to unpack my waders.

No comments: