Thursday, August 25, 2011

Chip or Dale?

Yesterday I went to the hardware store and got a new bag of feed for my little visitors. It is labeled Fruit and Nut. The bag brims with nuts and dried fruits, cherries and cranberries, and other assorted goodies.
My little visitors seemed thrilled with it. I sat on a makeshift stool that I have on the porch and watched as they explored the new menu. Just two squirrels showed up. They seem to hear the sound of the food being poured into the feeders and show up a few moments later. They were reticent at first but eventually accepted the fact that I was there.
Soon the chipmunk showed up. The squirrels chased it off at first but after the squirrels left, the chipmunk returned and appears to have no fear of me. I enjoyed watching the tiny creature stuff its cheek pouches with food, scoot away, and then return to fill them up again. It seemed suspiciously interested in the tomatoes and relished the fresh nasturtium seeds that I had put in the feeder.
The hummingbird appears each morning to sip at the nasturtiums. The sparrows that live in the quince bush clean up all of the tiny bits that the others leave.
It was a quiet day in Lake Uxbridge. Going to the hardware store may seem like a simple day but it was the highpoint of mine.
I have had ecstasy and depression and joy and fear and pride and self loathing in my life. This quiet time and place suits me now. There are several whoppingly big Brandywine tomatoes that will be fully ripened today. Tomato sandwiches are surely coming today!

No comments: