Thursday, November 18, 2010

Times

There are times that are sad, there are times that are glad. Then there are the times that are just in between both. The word ennui comes to mind but I don't really remember what it means. That is a big disappointment because more and more I cannot remember what a word means. I used to know the meanings of a lot of words but now they are just dusty shadows lurking in the depths of my memory. As a test, I just tried to remember the name of the monster in Beowulf. After several minutes, Grendal came roaring back. That exemplifies the memory troubles that I have. I can remember most things but it takes minutes or seconds or hours or days to access the memory.
Yesterday was a typical no 1's or 10's day. I had big plans for things that I have to do but I am re-reading the Illiad. This time I vow that I will finally finish it. I have started reading it so many times over my lifetime but I don't recall ever finishing it. So the day progressed with the Illiad, a nice pasta and sauce and sausage meal, a nice glass of port, and a nice nap that lasted way too long. When I awakened, I watched the Moon progress along the window pane for quite some time.
The day had no 1's (depression) or 10's ( the exhilaration of watching my children grow) but was a nice even 5. A long time ago I was diagnosed with depression. The Doctor said it was Typical Scandanavian Depression. He got me some pills, one of which I called the Pajama Pill. I had to already have my pajamas on when I took the pill. I stopped taking it because I was afraid that if the smoke alarm went off, I would not hear it and I had children living with me at the time. That was a typical time of 1's and 10's.
I went for a longer walk yesterday. The air was slightly crisp, the leaves were crunchy, and Nature's palette was spread over the ground. I watched the waterfall and listened to its gentle roar. I breathed in its musky, moist air. It was a good day for walking.
Today will be another try at making a decent soup. I have all of the ingredients that I will need and still have some port. Still, I can hear the sirene sound of the Illiad in the background. Life is 5 and 5 is good.

No comments: