Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Gathering

I awoke this morning to the sound of the geese. They must have spent the night on the high school field across the street, munching on the newly mown grass. They started honking away when first light came and now I imagine that they are on their way to their winter quarters.
Somehow there is sadness in the honking of the migrating geese. There is a loneliness to the sound of their gathering. I don't think that they are lonely. They are traveling in a gaggle of their friends and relatives.
It might be my attitude towards travelling. Each time that I have travelled, it has been a lonely time. To be away from home and family is not good for the soul. I have had many homes and only one family. The changing of homes became a routine that was not uncomfortable so it doesn't take a Holmesian intellect to deduce the root of the loneliness. My family is spread out all over the country. It would be nice to have a Gathering. To once more sit and read A Christmas Carol aloud and bask in the warmth of those that I love.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

That would be really nice, Dad. It makes me sad that we're all so spread out. Unfortunately, it's expensive to get our clan all in one place. But maybe someday soon!

Hey - did you know that we can set up an online Scrabble game and play each other? Ericka and I used to do that on Facebook, but I know there are other sites we can use, too.

sandwhichisthere said...

I determined a long time ago to never compete with my children. I decided to always throw a gutter ball in the last frame, to always miss the last putt, to always line them up for QUIZ as a triple word score.
It may be because all of my children are girls, it was important that they learn that they were better than boys at almost everything, to not expect Dad to dominate everything.
This axiom did not apply to the Sacred Trivial Pursuit game. There is too much Cliff Clavin in me to allow that. This head full of useless information has to be good for something.
The plan appears to have worked. My daughters defer to no man in anything. If a man triumphs over one of my daughters, he better beware. He is just having his ego stroked. She knows in her heart that she could have whumphed him easily and is secretly chuckling inside about his beaming pride.