Friday, September 4, 2009

Wants versus needs

As things stand today, I have everything that I need. I have freedom from pain, I have a full belly, and I have a warm place to sleep. What else can a human being need? There will always be wants but they are very few. Below wants are things that I would like to have. Yesterday I saw two things that I would like to have.
The first like to have is the stockpots in the little store down the street. The store used to be owned by two French ladies so those stockpots have seen a great deal of use. The store is now owned by a man from India. The stockpots have accumulated a layer of dust. I asked if they were still used and the answer was yes. Disappointed, I noticed that they are all aluminum so my disappointment went away. I choose to not use aluminum or non-stick cookware. I have cast iron and enameled cast iron and stainless steel. The cast iron only needs to be rinsed out, the enameled cast iron can be cleaned with baking soda and an empty onion bag, and the stainless steel can be cleaned with an SOS pad or some 0000 steel wool.
Walking back to where I live, I chose a different route from the way that I usually go. There it was, something old and something blue. The top of it has faded to grey, it is very close to old age, and its pants are riding high. This is a match made in heaven. I will not say what it is, as I learned as a boy to never let anyone know that I wanted something, so I can avoid disappointment. So it is not a need, will not be a want but it is firmly in the "I would like to Have" category.
I have all that I need, I have very few wants. the would like to haves float in and out of my life. Still? I am very fortunate. My needs are small, my wants will remain as wants, and the would like to haves change each day and are not necessary. I am very fortunate. Still?

No comments: