Thursday, March 4, 2010

Stock

Yesterday was wonderful. It was a pleasant day and a good day for a walk. I ended the day by making stock. I now have six quarts of very mixed stock. I took all of the scraps of meat and bones that have been crowding the freezer for months, I hope that it was months, and simmered them for four hours along with the requisite 60/20/20 ratio of onions, carrots, and celery. The meats were a mixture of chicken, pork, and beef. I started with eight quarts of water and reduced them down to six over four hours. As I type, I realize that I forgot to add the sachet d'epice and it is still sitting on the counter. The stock is in the refrigerator and a thin layer of fat has accumulated on the top. Today I will skim off the fat and reduce the stock even further, also adding the spices. I may even add salt if the stock needs it.
Today will also be a day to transplant the seedlings. The basil is six inches high and the peppers and eggplant and herbs need more footroom. I hope to also start the tomatoes. I am going to have an awful lot of tomato plants as I went overboard ordering seeds. I always do.
I have started Spring cleaning. I hope to be done by the fourth of July. I am really just moving things around as I find it almost impossible to throw anything out. This failing has recently been amplified by reading that used coffee grounds are good for potting plants. I do proudly dispose of the used filters. A person has to start somewhere.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

I like your blog