Monday, February 9, 2009

A banner day

Yesterday was a banner day. Today is my brother's birthday so yesterday I had him and his wife come for dinner. I got up at three a.m. and started cooking. By the time that they arrived I had Swedish meatballs and Swedish pickles and a chocolate birthday cake made.
It was a joy to spend the day with my brother. He is probably the only person in the world that I feel comfortable with. What is it about brothers? He is the person I slept in the same bed with when we were small. He is my Father standing before me with my Fathers eyes looking at me. He knew my Father and he knew my Mother and he knew me. There is something there that defies description. It is tenuous at times, it is as strong as steel in times of trouble. No matter what happens or how badly I mess up, he is there. I hope that I can be also.

1 comment:

Cap'n Slappy said...

What are Swedish pickles? I have just recently finished explaining lingenberries. Happy birthday Uncle Paul! I'm sorry I haven't returned your call, I actually just got the message due to experimental phone service(company is named "Embark" and very often when I call 411, it's busy),will talk to you soon. Love you!